Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pin 119

Original pin:
Pinned Image
http://www.thethriftyhome.com/2009/05/power-of-vinegar.html

"Soak paper towels in vinegar and wrap around faucets. Wait an hour and wipe off. Cleaning power of vinegar!" says the previous pinner.

We've got some hard water out here in funky town. I have tried all sorts of products to remove it and some work a little more than others. Nothing has removed them completely.  I was in a major kitchen cleaning funk this morning--seriously, I was climbing up on things to dust the tops of cabinets, the refrigerator top was disinfected, I even cleaned the vents on the front of the oven with alcohol and q-tips. I thought this would be easy enough to set and let it work while I obsessed over other things.

The kitchen faucet before:

I wrapped it with soaked paper towels and then just dumped more vinegar on top for good measure.

One hour later:
Still some small spots left.
So I rewrapped it with the same paper towels, dumped a little more on and then let it continue to soak.

Three hours later:




This is probably as good as it will ever get. It is the best I have been able to get with any cleaning product so far. In the middle picture you can see some leftover rings, but you can only see them well up close. I was pretty happy with the results. Maybe if I had grabbed some of those q-tips and started scrubbing I could get those pesky rings off.

Total cost: $0, I keep that vinegar around here in bulk.

Total time: 5 minutes hands-on, total soak four hours.

Final verdict: Easy enough and did a good job. I will do this again when the water stains have built back up. Oh, vinegar. Is there nothing you can't do?

1 comment:

  1. Add a little lemon juice and it will break up the rest...at least I would hope. THanks for the paper towel trick. I just sprayed them now off to get some paper towels soaking.

    ReplyDelete