Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pin 73

Original pin:
Pinned Imagehttp://www.sarahortega.com/2011/05/diy-bird-nest-necklace.html

I love these bird nest necklaces. I totally wanted one and I decided that for mothers day I would make one for my mother and myself! I thought I had all the supplies as I headed out to craft night with the girls but as I looked it over, I realized I needed some jump rings for the clasps. I dug through my coupons to find one for the craft store and decided to go to a different one than my usual because that is where my coupon was.

I am so happy I went to a different store because I found some great inspiration! The jewelry selection was better there and they had some fabulous charms on sale. I went in to get a $2.99 pack of jump rings and left after spending nearly $30 (on items for this & other projects)!!

I was inspired to add some sweet bird charms and some silver hearts to the bird nest necklaces and joined them all together with a larger split ring. Threaded them on the chain and added a clasp. The nests themselves were very easy. I love the imperfect-ness of them.  I am soooo happy with the way they turned out. I wanted some light blue, oval shaped beads for my nests since both my boys birthstones are blue, but I couldn't find exactly what I had in mind, so I just went with some different sized pearls.

Here are the final products:

Mom got three pearls for her three girls.

Mine has two for the two boys.
Total cost: I can't say--since it was a gift! But on etsy, you can find them from $20 to $350!

Total time: I made both of these in about 1 1/2 hours while talking, eating hummus, and drinking wine. Focused work time is probably less than one hour.

Final verdict: I am so happy with the way these turned out. My mama loves hers too! They were cute just as a nest, but I love, love the little extra charms too!

No comments:

Post a Comment