Friday, April 13, 2012

Pin 53

Original Pin:
Pinned Image
http://annies-eats.com/2008/08/10/pita-bread/

This falls right into my previous statement, "Who doesn't like fresh, hot bread???" Pita bread with dinner tonight!

I was pretty tired today and the kids were busy boys this afternoon. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the bottom line here is that I didn't follow the directions. Oops. Totally my fault. But luckily, everything turned out okay. The step I skipped was the third rise. I am used to making breads with one and two rises, but the third rise just didn't sink in this time. That being said, I don't even know if it is necessary. I shaped the dough from the balls into the pita bread and let them sit on the counter 3 or 4 minutes and then just popped them in the oven and they turned out beautiful. My cooking time was a little longer than the authors. She called for 3 minutes, but mine stayed in more like 5 or 6. I just waited until the tops started to get some browned spots. The bread was delicious. We sliced them open, stuffed them with steak, cheese, and avocados, and then gobbled them up. The leftovers will be great for lunches this weekend. Time consuming because I had to remember to start them in the morning, but they were definitely much better than the store bought kind.
Because I wasn't setting the timer, just watching for the color, one of them almost burned!

Total cost: $0, I had everything in the pantry

Total time: 1 hour hands on time, 2 hours rising time (divided)

Final verdict: Yum. Will be making these again for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment